Engaging the banking sector in financing renewable energy
To identify the areas of opportunity for the financial sector to engage and accelerate its participation in renewable energy projects, particularly at a micro and small-scale level. This is an awareness raising effort to accelerate investments in renewable energies and promote the sustainable use of energy in the future.
- Conduct a market opportunity assessment;
- Conduct a review of existing financial products;
- Develop a strategy to increase awareness, engagement and capacity building of the financial sector;
- Host a consultation meeting with the main stakeholders within the energy and financial market;
- Pilot a project that implements the strategies within one of the programmes that CONAE is currently developing: solar water heaters;
- Monitor, evaluate and market the results.
- At least one commercial bank engaged in financing small scale renewable and energy efficiency projects;
- Increase the interest and awareness of local banks in the sustainable energy business. Expression of interest from at least three local banks;
- Contribute to clarifying the renewable energy market opportunities in Mexico aiming to increase the awareness and engagement of the local financial sector and consequently accelerate investments;
- Replicate the model in other Latin America countries;
- Contribute to the design of future government initiatives to increase investment in the sustainable energy.