Financial Models for Energy Efficiency in Water Services Across South Africa
To develop replicable models for financing energy and water efficiency projects within municipal water supply systems.
South Africa25° 42' 24.84" S, 28° 13' 45.84" E
Main activity and output:
- Incorporate project financing into USAID-funded Watergy projects in seven South African cities;
- Develop Watergy financial models that address legal and financial barriers impeding the development of sustainable municipal water energy efficiency projects;
- Compile a set of case studies for completed and on-going water energy efficiency projects and their financing;
- Organise high-level policy roundtable to engage governments, business and financial sector support;
- Develop official capacities of participating municipalities for policies, financing and technologies for water efficiency improvements.
- Reduction in cost savings through financial models to fund energy conservation;
- Replication in other countries in the region that are struggling with energy shortages and poor delivery of urban water services.