To assist at least three cities in developing vehicles for the mass rollout of solar water heaters and make cities aware of all renewable and energy efficiency alternatives available to them.
- Choose three leading cities in South Africa to partner;
- Finalise choice of model on which the fee-for-service or other mass delivery mechanism will be based;
- Identify the key role players in the model (financiers, CDM funding co-ordinators, solar water heater suppliers and installers, local authorities, legal experts);
- Provide technical, legal and financial inputs to cities as necessary in the process of delivery vehicle establishment;
- Facilitate and co-ordinate the process of delivery vehicle establishment, bringing in identified players as needed;
- Extend the current manual for renewable energy and energy efficiency options (developed under a past REEEP project) to cover all feasible options, and maintain and extend the existing city support website for a fully comprehensive overview.
- Set the process in place for the establishment of vehicles for, and implementation of, SWHs on a mass scale in three cities, leading to similar rollout in other cities;
- Improved energy security for cities due to peak load reduction, as well as financial benefits due to reduced peak power needs;
- Reduce global warming emissions in cities;
- Create jobs through the resulting boost to the SWH industry;
- Inform decisions regarding the mix of renewable energy options to be adopted in cities to meet renewable energy targets;
- Increase ability to implement a range of renewable energy and energy efficiency projects.