To reduce energy consumption in buildings through the adoption of new standards based on international best practices of energy efficiency technologies and renewable energy use by the Chinese government.
- Review the major experience of energy use in Europe and estimate the energy savings achievable in China's building sector, with the assistance of European experts from the Netherlands, Germany and Austria;
- Review best practices of sustainable building programmes in European countries;
- Introduce European standards to China;
- Develop policy recommendations for a sustainable building programme in China to promote the incorporation of energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies into the building sector.
- Summary of best practices of sustainable building programmes in European countries;
- Overview analysis of current low energy-consumption building in China;
- National policy recommendations report to the Chinese Government with support from other key stakeholder communities;
- Increased awareness of concepts for sustainable building development for several key stakeholder groups;
- Increased energy efficiency and reduction in greenhouse gas emissions in new building construction in China (currently 60% of energy in the building sector is lost due to the outdated standards and design practices).